Monday, February 16, 2015

Keepin' It Tight - Even In A Tight Space

Our tiny house gym can fit most anywhere.
Everyone, meet our tiny house gym.

Staying fit and active has always been a big part of each of our lives, and moving into a small space certainly wasn't going to make that change. I once had an excess of exercise equipment, and honestly, I think I had so much because I had a "spare" room. Don't we all imagine it will be a home gym one day? HAAA. "Part time use and full time debris" is a phrase that comes to mind. I think I tripped over the stuff more often than I used it. The equipment included a full size exercise ball, several free weight sets, resistance bands, stepping blocks, stationary bike conversion kit, ab cruncher, etc. I got rid of a good chunk of it as a "set" on Craigslist. I was several items lighter and $20 richer, and this cute, little petite lady- who spoke barely a word of English- looked so happy she could die. :)

I digress. After working a traveling job for several years, and researching all things portable and compact, I've come up with a very effective trio of tools that take up minimal space. I actually got two of the three items for Dan for Christmas. It's pretty remarkable the results we have seen since then. 

Our Tiny House Gym




4. Outdoor Cardio! -Running, biking, roller blading, hiking, snow-shoeing, SHOVELING


This combination of tools, plus basic floor exercises, like lunges and push ups, allows us to hit pretty much every major group of muscles- AND- with functional movements which are several times more effective than the typical isolated movements seen with machines. Through working at a physical therapy office, I learned that any movement with an added layer of instability, became incredibly difficult and effective. Results were also swift and unparalleled. Ever since, I have searched for tools that add the element of instability.  I really hope to get a Bosu ball at some point, but I have more downsizing to do if that's the case! 


Dan and I typically do a floor routine 3 times per week. Dan has his own regimen of various push up positions using the Push X Pros that activate all areas of his arms, chest, and back. I do some push ups, planks, and windmills with them, but my strength isn't quite there yet. We both do a few sets of ab rolls, lunges, squats, and various resistance moves with the bands. I focus on my shoulders when using the bands. 


On occasion, Dan will even use our water bricks as weights. They are an excellent way to add a challenge for squats and add some instability (due to the sloshing water)! For cardio, we enjoy doing a great deal of different activities, lately it's just been shoveling. I'm ready for spring. I can't wait to do yoga at sunrise on our deck! Glorious!!

Thanks for reading!








8 comments:

  1. This was so exceptionally cool and amusing to peruse. I have reveled in this incredible and fun data. This was truly and amusing to peruse. I have delighted in and I need to thank you۔

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Research kettle bells... nothing compares when it comes to results, efficiency. No more space would be necessary than what you're currently doing / utilizing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this.Just shows no excuses for not excercising...even in a tiny home! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking for stylish workout tights for me and have never shopped for my clothes online. Your tips will help me a lot to buy affordable clothing. Thanks for sharing this post. I am sure this will be helpful for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exercise is crucial to supporting a fast metabolism and burning more calories per day. It also helps you maintain your muscle mass and weight loss. To loss your weight quickly you should do exercise with the best cardio workout machine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your good knowledge and kindness in playing with all the pieces were very useful.

    muscle milk genuine | fitlaya fitness ab machine

    ReplyDelete