Yesterday, we framed the subfloor that will be fastened to the trailer. We had a few minor hang-ups, but nothing could slow our momentum...we've been waiting too long!!
We started by studying our blue-prints for the framing design the night before and reviewing our materials list. Turns out having 6 months of time where you can do nothing but learn, and experiment, and plan and scrutinize and strategize....it pays off.
Our only hang-up worth noting was the issue of stripping the screws. (Of course I got the wrong screws to begin with, but the hardware store wasn't far away, thank goodness) Each time we would try to drive a screw into the stud- it would immediately strip. Even when we pre-drilled a hole!
We started to think that we had just got sold some cheap screws. We were solemnly ready to drive to Lowe's once again, but thanks to my Dad's friendly neighbor, Mario, we learned what the problem was. Turns out the drill we were using (plugs into the wall) was a little on the powerful side for this particular application. He taught us that those drills spin at such high speeds that the immediate change in velocity, plus the friction of moving through wood, was too much for the screw to handle- hence the stripping. He recommended we use a cordless drill, but the battery was still charging at the time; he showed us how make it work with what we had. We needed to pre-drill, then apply great downward/inward force and drill very slowly. It worked! Trip to Lowe's averted!
And from then on, things went as they have with most every step so far- smoothly. :) Sure it took us a few hours, but we enjoyed the work. We just followed our own instructions and everything fit together like a puzzle!
Extensive planning and research really pays off.
Today, we plan to grab some re-claimed pressure treated wood from Dan's Dad- this will be used to re-inforce the trailer decking before applying the flashing and framing. Next we will head to Lowe's to grab our next round of materials. And today at my Dad's, we will mount the time-lapse camera (YAY!), re-inforce the deck, apply flashing, secure framing to trailer, and insulate!
Things are moving right along!
Subscribe for Emails!